Cinnamon is a spice that, although it is fashionable, is nothing that has been discovered recently. Man has been using it for many years, especially in eastern cultures. Thanks to its properties, flavor and fragrance, it has been used to preserve food, for medicinal or culinary purposes.
Do you want to know more about this spice? Keep reading!
CINNAMON: TYPES AND DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THEM
In ancient times this spice was once more precious than gold itself, if our ancestors already knew and valued it, how can we not?
Let's start at the beginning, cinnamon is one of the spices with the greatest antioxidant power that exists, its flavonoids and phenols make it a great ally of our health. In addition, it is also rich in vitamin B, C and minerals such as calcium, iron, phosphorus and potassium.
There are many different varieties of cinnamon although they all come from a tree of the genus Cinnamomum. Despite having a common origin, their properties are very different, which makes the consumption of some more recommended than others. The most commercialized are:
- Ceylon Cinnamon: It has its origin in Sri Lanka and is the so-called ''original or true cinnamon''. It is the best in terms of quality and benefits.
- Cassia Cinnamon: comes from China, and although it is of much lower quality than the previous variety, it is one of the most consumed in the world. However, its use is not advisable for long periods of time or in high doses due to its coumarin percentage.
- Korintje Cinnamon: this variety comes from Indonesia and is similar to Cassia in composition and coumarin content.
Saigon cinnamon: it is originally from Vietnam and although at first glance it is similar to cassia, it has little to do with it in terms of coumarin content and composition.
SO WHICH SHOULD WE TAKE?
In the previous section we have learned about some of the varieties that we can find for sale, but how are they different? It's simple, their difference lies in the coumarin content that each type contains. Surely you had never heard this word (until you read it in the previous section), right? It is a substance that, consumed in excess, can cause liver and kidney damage.
It is advisable to take the Ceylon variety, since Cassia has a high coumarin content, so half a teaspoon may contain a higher amount than is considered safe for people who consume it regularly.
I want you to know that occasional consumption of Cassia cinnamon does not pose a health problem, but for those who usually consume it every day, it is recommended that they opt for the Ceylon variety.
BENEFITS OF CEYLOAN CINNAMON
Cinnamon in its variety native to Sri Lanka has many benefits. Here are some of the most important ones!:
- It helps with the digestion of carbohydrates and fats, as well as with gases and acidity.
- It improves cognitive functions and memory , and also helps against headaches.
- Regulates blood glucose levels.
- Improves cardiovascular health, helping to reduce cholesterol, triglyceride and blood pressure levels.
- Improves circulation and helps reduce cholesterol.
- Regulates and helps improve the symptoms associated with menstruation.
HOW TO TAKE CINNAMON TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ITS GOODNESS
After knowing all the positive effects that this ingredient has on your health, you will surely want to incorporate it into your routine. We will tell you the easiest ways to take it:
- Including it in your recipes: its characteristic flavor makes it a perfect complement to all your recipes.
- As a natural sweetener: you can add it to your coffees, smoothies or even desserts to make them sweeter and healthier.
- As an infusion: infusions that contain this ingredient are recommended to be taken after eating as they promote digestion.
At Baïa Food we use the best quality Ceylon cinnamon that we bring directly from Sri Lanka, which makes our formulations even healthier and richer. So if you are not convinced by the previous options or you want to complement them, a good way to take it in your daily life is through our Matcha Latte , Turmeric Latte , Plant Protein Vanilla or Chai Latte that, in addition to the benefits that cinnamon has, , they will give you many others.