You may have heard of superfoods... or not, because 52% of Spaniards still don't know what they are.
Raise your hand if you want to know exactly what they are. Raise your hand if you want to know what benefits they provide.
And now lower your hand, so you can scroll, we will tell you everything in this post!
WHAT ARE SUPERFOODS
Superfoods or superfoods are, from a nutritional point of view, foods that are especially rich in nutrients and that have been consumed by aboriginal peoples for thousands of years to maintain their physical and mental health. In the modern world it is a good idea to include them in the diet to mitigate the deficiencies of the current diet and feel more vital, rejuvenated and full of energy.
For the first time in human history, more deaths occur from excess food than from lack of it (study)
We are overfed but at the same time, malnourished. The modern diet, full of ultra-processed foods , takes away our hunger, but it does not provide us with the necessary nutrients to enjoy good health, and on the other hand, chronic diseases skyrocket.
As if that were not enough, in 2006 the UN recognized a new type of malnutrition (B malnutrition) related to the lack of micronutrients in fruits and vegetables. It was observed that they no longer had as many vitamins and minerals as before.
This is where a paradox occurs, and that is that we could be producing food, “that does not feed.”
You can see in this table the loss of vitamins and minerals since 1985.
Source: Dr. W. Amzallag (University of Montpellier) Anesthesiology and Intensive Care
And if we look further back, the loss is even more alarming. An easy way to mitigate this problem is to add superfoods to the diet, since they provide us with a large amount of nutrients and restore our health.
Superfoods or superfoods are also rich in vitamins and antioxidants that allow us to prevent diseases, and many of them have anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and adaptogenic properties (that is, they allow you to adapt to the physical and emotional stress to which we are exposed).
Matcha tea is 130 times more antioxidant than normal green tea and provides energy gradually
Dr. Antonio Hernández says: “There are many people who, unfortunately, suffer from deficiencies in proteins, essential amino acids, vitamins or minerals that they need to supplement in some way. That's when superfoods appear, which can counteract this lack when added in small quantities throughout the week. Although superfoods cannot solve serious pathologies, they do help us obtain a nutritional balance that improves our health and prevents diseases. "
We have forgotten something basic, the true purpose of eating is to nourish ourselves. Industrial foods are convenient and satisfy our appetite, but they do not provide what our body needs to stay healthy.
The importance of food to maintain health has been known since ancient times: "Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food. " Hippocrates pointed out.
There are more and more deficiencies that affect our body but also our emotions . We find ourselves stressed, with a lack of energy and we try to counteract this state with energy drinks, coffee or refined carbohydrates. These are just a patch that does not allow us to address the root problem.
The good news is that you can turn this situation around.
Superfoods can help you counteract major deficiencies in the modern diet , and they have benefits that will fascinate you. Keep reading, we will tell you quickly and also the best way to take them.
- AÇAÍ : is a Brazilian fruit similar to a blueberry. It helps to keep us young, to have beautiful skin and hair and to eliminate fluid retention. How to take it: The best form is in dehydrated powder, 5-10G adding it to yogurt, in smoothies, juices...
- BAOBAB : It is an African fruit that is already dried on the tree itself. Effective in preventing colds and reducing fever. You can take it by adding 10G to orange juice, yogurt or sprinkle it on any recipe.
- HEMP SEEDS : these seeds do not have a psychoactive effect. They improve rest, help build muscle mass and reduce cholesterol. Take them like any nut.
- MATCHA TEA : This is the most premium tea that exists. Enhances fat burning. It keeps you alert without getting you excited and prevents cravings. Almost nothing... The effective dose is 3g. It does not need to be infused, you can drink it with milk, water or add it to more elaborate recipes...
- SPIRULINA : yes, we know the name is special, but as special as its properties. This algae fights anemia, eliminates heavy metals, helps you tan and fights infections. Sold in powder form, add 2-3G to a green smoothie, vegetable soup or fish.
- COCO : you surely know this one 😀 but perhaps you don't know that it protects your heart, eliminates fluid retention and prevents cravings. Take it as a snack between meals or add it as a topping.
- MACA: This is a Peruvian root that has been shown to help adapt to stress, regulate sleep and increase libido. Take 5g adding it to a bowl or smoothie. Combines very well with cocoa.
- COCOA: it is very important that it is pure, without sugar, so that you can obtain its benefits: improves mood, stimulates concentration, delays aging. Add it to milk or make healthy sweets with it.
- GOJI BERRIES: native to Tibet, they protect your eyesight and have an antiaging effect. Use them as a snack, add them to yogurt...
- CHIA SEEDS: they were already consumed by the Mayans and Aztecs, perhaps because they reduce cholesterol and provide a lot of fiber and energy. You can soak them in milk or another liquid (chia pudding ) or use a pepper mill and sprinkle them.
Whether you want to improve your body composition, improve your mood or feel more energetic, diet is key.
The term superfood has been greatly abused. In fact, no food is magic. Nothing will improve your health if the context of your diet and lifestyle is unhealthy.
What's more, there are common foods that can also provide you with great help (avocado, nuts, olive oil, etc.). But it is also clear that other benefits such as helping you fight stress, providing you with very high doses of antioxidants or eliminating heavy metals are more typical of superfoods .We invite you to browse our list of the main superfoods and incorporate them into your daily life to see how they can help you improve your health.
Click here to go to our catalog of the best superfoods.