There are times when we have the evidence in front of us, and we don't see it...
The evidence about the importance of Vit D in respiratory infections was already well known and just when we are in the middle of a global pandemic, it has taken us too long to realize the importance of this vitamin.
Studies have had to come out on the Vit D levels of patients who had COVID-19 for us to pay attention to it again...
If you have many doubts about this vitamin or if you haven't even heard of its importance, don't miss this post.
WHAT IS VITAMIN D?
It is a fat-soluble vitamin that has a fundamental role in our body since it helps the formation of bones, teeth, the absorption of calcium, the immune system...
It can be obtained mainly in two ways:
- With exposure to the sun's rays (UV).
- Through the consumption of foods rich in this vitamin.
The foods with the highest content of Vitamin D are:
- Fatty fish, especially trout, mackerel, salmon or tuna.
- The eggs
- Milk and its derivatives.
- Some mushrooms, for example mushrooms.
Evolutionarily we obtained enough Vit D since we received sun during the day, or else, as in the last ice age, our diet was very rich in this vitamin.
But the modern world brings its consequences, sometimes not so good...
Spain is one of the countries with the most hours of sunshine during the year but its inhabitants, however, have a deficiency of this vitamin since in general we spend much more time at home or in the office than outdoors.
Our diet is no longer as nutritionally rich, we eat a lot of processed food and even if this is not the case, the foods are not as rich in nutrients as in the past.
And what happens when you don't have something that is fundamental for many physiological processes in the body?
Your health weakens.
Your immune system, your bone health, your cardiovascular health suffer...
BENEFITS OF CONSUMING VITAMIN D
But hey, we've already talked about bad things. Since you are a person who cares about your health (otherwise you wouldn't be here), let me tell you how good it is to have Vit D in normal ranges.
- It could have anti-tumor properties. In fact, it is curious to see how African Americans in the US have a higher rate of cancer and there are researchers who clearly associate this with the fact that since they have dark skin, they need to be exposed to the sun for longer to synthesize a correct amount of Vit D.
- Helps in skeletal development
- It has anti-aging properties.
- Helps fight viral processes such as Covid-19. I'm going to give you a fact: all cells of the immune system have Vit D receptors. Coincidence? Surely not... It's as if all the soldiers in an army had a compartment in their uniform to store bullets that they will never use. Has no sense...
Maybe you didn't know it, but different studies have shown overwhelming evidence about the importance of Vit D in combating COVID-19.
- The Spanish Society of Geriatrics and Gerontology recommends Vit D supplements to prevent and treat COVID 19 ( study )
- This retrospective study of all Covid patients hospitalized in Andalusia between January and December 2020 demonstrates that the significant reduction in mortality was associated with Vitamin D supplementation 15-30 days before hospitalization ( study )
- In a meta-analysis of 43 observational studies, it was detected that low levels of Vitamin D were associated with a greater risk of infection, mortality and severity from COVID 19. In such cases, supplementation can be considered an advisable preventive and therapeutic measure.
WHAT TYPES OF VIT D ARE THERE AND WHAT IS A NORMAL LEVEL OF VIT D?
There are two types of Vit D.
1) Vitamin D3 produced in the skin of humans and other animals, from 7-dehydrocholesterol (derived from cholesterol) by the action of UVB rays.
2) Vitamin D2 , which is produced in plants, fungi and yeasts by solar irradiation from ergosterol.
Both vitamin D compounds cannot be used by our body. When absorbed, they have to be transformed to produce various compounds (their metabolites), which are active and responsible for the multiple functions of vitamin D in the body.
The first biologically active metabolite is 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] (calcidiol), which is produced in the liver from both forms, vitamin D 2 or D 3.
This is precisely the parameter 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] that is measured in analyzes to see Vit D levels.
But traditionally, levels of this vitamin have been considered normal to be between 15 and 25 ng/ml, but this does not mean that these data are optimal. It is just the level that shows a normal distribution in a modern society in which most people do not get enough time in the sun daily or consume foods rich in this vitamin.
Recently, field studies have been carried out on people who live exposed to the sun - just as our ancestors did - such as farmers, lifeguards, athletes who train outdoors and it was observed that their levels exceeded 40 ng/ml, reaching optimal levels of between 60-90 ng/ml.
Try to have high levels and supplement if necessary.
Vit D is too important.
NATURAL IMMUNITY: THE BODYGUARD OF YOUR DEFENSES.
As we have seen, vitamin D plays an essential role in our health, so if we want to be healthy (in addition to eating a balanced diet and following healthy habits) we must take a sufficient amount of this vitamin.
- Boost the health of your immune system in less than 1 minute.
- Ensure the recommended daily dose of Vitamin C in a single dose.
- With ingredients that support your immune system with a delicious berry flavor.
Also, we have good news, we have made some changes to the formulation to make it even more effective: adding vitamin D3.
The evidence that this vitamin has in the prevention and treatment of respiratory infections is very great (as we have seen in the aforementioned studies) so we have preferred to add the vitamin from algae through a patented ingredient Vitalalgae D that has high vitamin D content
Like everything we do at Baïa, this reformulation is designed to take better care of you and, at the same time, the environment.
Most of the Vitamin D from animals comes from the fat of sheep's wool and if we all obtained Vitamin D supplementation from this source the impact on the environment would be very great .
In addition, we also want to take care of your pocket, so although the formula has improved, the price is exactly the same!
Did you know all this about Vit D? Did you like this surprise?
We read you in the comments.